So I’ve begun planning X’s first birthday party- I’m really excited! I’ve decided to go with a superhero theme- where X is the superhero! The colours will be superman colours (because I just like them for boys) so Red (his favourite), blue and gold!
I’ve sent out a save the date through Evite: http://www.evite.com/event/0251LOSYGB3Y3AXTSEPERI2PRHDOVY. I can’t really set a time because I’m not 100% sure if he’s going to stay on two naps a day or move to one. the party will likely be 11-1pm or 2:30-5:30pm.
I’ve secured the location: my cousin’s place…she’s got a great house that can accommodate everyone and I can also send X up to nap upstairs if he gets too cranky or people stick around.
I contacted https://www.facebook.com/sweetshopandbakery a local small business who helped out during my marketing for my book- they make delicious cake pops everyone LOVED. They’re going to do a smash cake and cake pops for the party.
Winterlude (winterlude.gc.ca) is a snow and ice festival in Ottawa, ON, Canada where there are ice slides, snow mazes, ice and snow sculptures, fudge, hot cider, hot cocoa, maple syrup on snow, beaver tails and one of the largest outdoor skating rinks in the world the length of our canal. Winterlude starts one week after Xavier’s birthday this year: January 30, 2015 so I’ve decided to delay the party one week, that way his out-of-town cousins can make a special weekend trip to Ottawa.
For the party here is what I have planned so far:
- Jumpy Castle
- My cousin owns a jumpy castle and has a great layout to set it up INSIDE her house in the basement. This will be perfect for the bigger kids in attendance.
- Ball Pit
- For the babies I would like to buy a baby pool and fill it with balls for them to play/lounge in
- Colour wall
- I’m going to create a skyline that the kids can colour in with crayons
- Colour bricks
- I may or may not have time, but if I can find fun coloured cardboard blocks or boxes kids can build walls to break through like a superhero
- Photo Booth
- I’m going to design a background and little word bubbles and action bursts (like “POW” “BANG” etc) for people to hold
- I’ll also have superhero themed props
- Telephone Booth
- Again if I have time I might make a refrigerator box painted like a London photo booth for the kids to change in
- Pin the “X” on X’s chest
- I’m going to get a blown up picture of Xavier and print “Super X” logos for them to stick on him blindfolded (like pin the tail on the donkey)
- Red Bags with their Superhero initial for them to stick to their chests
- Felt superhero masks for all the kids
- Dollar store/party city superhero toys
- Pop (cans decorated with “POP” burst bubble)
- Joker Juice (grape juice boxes wrapped in green and purple)
- Water Bottles
- “Super” Heros:
- Ham & Cheese
- Veggie: http://
- Baby Puree
- Kryptonite: pear and baby kale
- Spider Sauce: beets, raspberry, strawberry, yogurt
- The Thing: carrots and sweet potato,
- Red & Blue “BANG” Bites: cut up fruit and veggies: red pepper, strawberries, blueberries
- Golden “POW” cheesy noodles
- Cake “POP”s
- Dr.Manhattan Vegan Blue Jello cups (dollar store cups and mini spoons)
- Animal Crackers with red & blue coloured icing
That’s it so far. I’m not hiring entertainment but I’m not doing this on s shoestring either I guess. I know he won’t remember it…but that’s what the photos are for! I’m going to do the cake smash either on his birthday or the morning before the party.
What do you think? Am I going a little nuts here? What did you do for your kid’s first birthday?