It’s easy to get stuck on the couch burning through seasons on Netflix (Yo Gabba Gabba for him, 90s/teen dramas/super natural dribble for me) it’s easier to get him to nap and easier to balance getting what little cleaning and cooking gets done…but seriously…get OUT of the house- GO! Here’s my TOP 5 things to do with your baby in Ottawa:
- Afternoon Movie Date: Both Stars and Strollers with Cineplex and Rainbow Cinemas is pretty awesome! You can breastfeed openly, if your baby cries no one cares because everyone’s baby does it at least once in the 90minutes-2 hours and then you FINALLY check out some movies in theatres (something I hadn’t done since before baby X was born) and I just rock him to sleep and he gets used to sleeping through the noise. Win-win for everyone.
- Gymnastics: I haven’t checked this out yet but am super excited to, and have friends who loved it. I also nannied for a little four year old boy who was in Starr Gymnastics who loved it- so why not start them early get them a little exercise!
- Swim: Here’s a fun FREE (or nearly free) activity to do with your baby. Pick up some swim diapers (my favorite are bummi swimmis because they’re reusable, green/great for the environment, great quality and super cute) there are obviously loads of outdoor pools which is nice and in the sunshine, but X found them a bit cold for his taste, so there are also places like the YMCA, community pools and the wave pools that have infant/toddler swim times in heated pools. Guaranteed great solid naps and bedttime!
- Playgroup: There are tonnes of playgroups all over town to join, again most of them FREE…and for moms who are on mat leave this is the perfect opportunity for a little adult conversation…even if the content is 90% about your babies. Plus some of them have the cool toys like ball pits and plan fun activities like baby painting (I painted X more than he painted the paper).
- Play in the Park: I started X on the swing at under four months…propping his little body on the front of the baby seat he LOVED it! When we’re not on the swings, I lay him on the grass and he screams at the trees, has a bottle and just chillaxes…is chillax still a thing? Goodness being a new mom ages you.